Built in 1895 as a home for newlyweds Susan and John Burrows, both in their 60s. The house was originally located at Alder and the Coast Highway. At the time, it was isolated and surrounded by dense shore pine. Its location between the Bayfront and Nye Beach earned it the nickname “The Half-Way House.”Boarding House:
Shortly after the house was built, Susan divorced John and was awarded the property and house, which had been built with her money. Susan continued living in the house and took in boarders, calling the house the Sea View Rooms.
In 1919 Susan sold the house to Warren and Aileen Hartley for $1,500. After his bayfront building burned in 1933, Warren moved his funeral business into the house. The building continued to be used as a funeral parlor after it was sold in 1938 to Franklin Parker and in 1955 to the Bateman family.
The Bank of Newport purchased the property and house in 1976 and donated the house to the Lincoln County Historical Society which moved the building to its current location next to the Log Cabin Museum. The building officially became a museum with an open house and dedication on Sunday, September 24, 1978.