The Oregon Coast Council for the Arts typically puts out a call for proposals for the Newport Paper & Book Arts Festival in May for the following year’s event, with submission deadlines generally in mid-October; acceptance confirmations go out late October. The festival is always held on the third weekend in April, with workshops held at the Newport Visual Arts Center and additional locations around Newport and in Toledo.
We welcome new and innovative techniques as well as traditional processes, including but not limited to: Assemblage, Book Arts, Collage, Dyeing, Mixed Media, Paper Making, Paper Manipulation, Printing, Specialty Binding Techniques and Surface Design. We look for one and two-day workshops. Workshop hours are from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with an hour break from 12-1. Our classrooms vary in size, accommodating 8-16 students. In your proposal(s), please indicate how many students you are willing to teach. Final class size will be determined by room size and availability.
We encourage you to submit multiple workshops for consideration.
Instructors receive: (Note increases and changes in instructor payments and per diems)
1. Instructors are paid based on the number of students that attend the class. $400 for 6-10 students, $450 for 11 or more students.
2. Materials fee per student, that reflects the total cost of the materials provided by the instructor for the workshop.
3. Complimentary lunch on the day(s) you instruct.
4. Travel Stipend of $0.15 a mile roundtrip (shortest route), up to $250.
5. Room and Board per diem of $90 for each day you teach, if you live 50 or more miles from Newport.
6. An invitation to show work for sale in the 2020 NPBAF Instructor’s Show in the Upstairs Gallery. (OCCA members receive a 65% artist commission; non-OCCA members receive a 60% artist commission.)
7. 25% off the registration fee of any workshops taken at the festival. (Materials fees and lunches not included.)
Mail to NPBAF/OCCA, PO BOX 1315, NEWPORT OR 97365 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact NPBAF Coordinator Sara Siggelkow at email@example.com or 608-346-0697 with your questions.